Sunday 20 March 2016

Camp Omatua and Weka Point

What an amazing time we had at camp. Even though the rain decided to come to camp too we still had a fantastic time filled with many challenges and fun experiences. 
All helping each other at Puketapu Park
Blair having lots of fun on the flying fox


Giving our personal best for our team.
Go Zach Go!
Having fun together
Ellazay figuring out the best way to get
the tyre up the river to tube


Ollie enjoying tubing

Faith tubing
Boys enjoying their burgers


Nevaeh and Aotea making their apple dessert
Hannah and Isabelle being brave and taking
on the Fear Factor challenge
"Ahhhhh, what is it?"

Jacob and Blair making their orange dessert

Ngahere sharing his talent with us as we enjoy our afternoon tea.
Kia Ora Ngahere we appreciate you entertaining us.

Relaxing together in the spa pool
Swimming fun together
It was so much fun down the water slide











My biggest challenge was putting my hand near the really big spider. It was the biggest spider I have ever seen in New Zealand. It took all my courage and a deep breath to go near the spider. 
One of my favourite parts of camp was watching everyone enjoying tubing down the river. I really enjoyed seeing people push themselves by tubing together, twisting themselves round and round and pushing themselves off really fast. I also really loved hearing the encouragement of Totara Whanau when they were taking on the challenge of Fear Factor. The excitement others showed for each other when they had challenged themselves was just amazing to hear. I also just loved listening to Ngahere play his guitar...he is sooooo talented. 
My biggest achievement at camp was learning how to dive off the platform at the pool. I have only ever dived off the edge of the pool but after watching all the children from Totara Whanau challenge themselves I decided it was my turn. It was really fun because it felt like I was flying through the air like a flying fish before I hit the water. 
Mrs H
My biggest challenge was eating a piece of slimy squishy sticky black stuff in fear factor and not being sick! I really don't like to eat things when I am not sure what they are but I was really brave and put it into my mouth, chewed quickly then swallowed it all in one go without being sick. I am still not sure what it was but it tasted gross!
One of my favourite parts of camp was watching everyone zooming down the hill on the water slide even though it was really freezing! I enjoyed watching children's funny faces covered in soap bubbles as they sped down the slippery slide in the cold rain. I also loved seeing the determination of all children trying to beat the longest slide record and using their bodies in different ways to make themselves go faster and off the slide into the squelchy mud. I also admired how all the children enjoyed the different camp challenges and activities supporting each other and working together - you make me feel so proud to be part of Totara Whanau.
My biggest achievement at camp was hiding with my group in the garden in the pitch black in sardines spotlight. I am afraid of the dark and spiders! When we were hiding in the dark we had to keep our torches off so no one could see us and it was my job to make sure everyone was feeling safe in the dark even though I was really scared. Something little scuttled across my cheek while we were hiding and I really wanted to scream because I was sure it was a spider but I couldn't or it would give away our hiding spot. It took a lot of courage to face my two biggest fears!
Mrs Ramsay

2 comments:

  1. Totara Hub....Thank you guys for letting me share your experience at Camp Omatua and Weka Point last week. I had a great time and you are an amazing group of people.
    I especially think you guys did amazing completing all the activities and not even mentioning the rain once but just making the most of the time you had there.
    I really liked watching you all fly down the water slide!!
    I think you guys are really lucky to have a great combination of teachers you can go to in your hub.
    Ryan's dad..Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful camp, Totara Whanau. The photos are great and you can see the Parkvale PRIDE in action (especially the E for Enjoyment).

    I enjoyed reading your challenges and achievements, Mrs Ramsay and Mrs H. We are all learning all the time and sometimes it gets tricky!

    ReplyDelete